Thursday, January 22, 2009
Masak - masak Melayu ~ Asam Rebus Ikan Kembung (Mackerel) dengan Nenas
One of my favourite Malay dish, it has the spicy – sour – ish taste that I simply love, what more with the juicy pineapple. This recipe is very easy and tasty, with cheap ingredients.
1. Red chilli, 5
2. Cili padi, 2
3. Shallot, 4 (large)
4. Garlic, 4 cloves (large)
5. Turmeric, 2 cm
6. Asam keping, 3
7. Ikan kembung (mackerel), 3, slices to half
8. Small pineapple, ½, sliced
9. Asam jawa, instant (Adabi), 2 Tsp (subjective)
10. 3 Tsp oil
11. 3 – 4 cups of water (subjective)
12. Salt & sugar (subjective)
1. Ingredient 1 – 5, blend to pulp
2. Heat oil in a saucepan / deep pot (When boiling the fish, the water used must fully submerge them)
3. Cook the blended ingredients till fragrant
4. Add 2 cups of water and asam keping, bring to boil
5. Add the asam jawa, pretty much to how sour you prefer it to be (substitute: a handful unprocessed ones, soaked in half cup of hot water then drained and separated from the seeds).
6. Add the fishes and remaining water till fully submerged, or more if you prefer a less thick gravy. Let it simmer till fishes are cooked, roughly 10 - 15 minutes
7. Add pineapple, simmer for 3 – 4 minutes more.
8. Add salt and sugar to your liking. Off gas.