Friday, January 23, 2009

Common spices in Malay cooking

My glossary of spices =) Or at least the ones that I usually use. These are the commonly used spices in Malay cooking and recipes.


Halba @ Fenugreek seed. I used this in my assam fish. Some people use this in Nasi Lemak and Nasi Dagang.


Cengkih @ clove. Nice smell. Used in my masak merah and masak kicap recipe.



Buah pelaga @ green cardamon. Can give you diarrhea if consumed, or so said some people. I've never tested that theory though.


Bunga lawang @ star anise. I used this in my Ayam masak merah


Kayu manis @ cinnamon. Also has a nice smell. Ikea sold candles of apple and cinnamon, if anyone is interested.



Buah keras @ candlenut. Used as a natural "thickener" for gravy.



2 comments:

  1. Wow... I love spices... and I love how you use them all in your cooking....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually teh pictures was taken on a day when I was so bored and decided to rummage through my dad's spices collection LOL He's the one who taught me cooking and all about these traditional spices

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit!