Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Masak - masak pencuci mulut ~ Len Chee Kang

 Don't ask me to classify this dessert because I don't know my recipe falls under which category as I make it to my own preference i.e. putting in whatever that I like. Some may say that I'm over - influenced by the Chinese but I think it has a Malay touch to it too. If you Google "len chee kang", "lai chi kang", "lai chee kang" or whatever spelling version, you'll find both Malay and Chinese recipe versions but heck, this is Malaysia so anything goes as long as it's food and it's good. Both versions can be served hot or cold, and ingredients are usually similar so don't fret too much over it.

I'm cooking for 10 pax here as the ingredients are usually sold in bulk at my local supermarket. Some supermarket sell them as loose items too but packed stuffs are easier to shop for. Sometimes I also cook len chee kang in large amount especially in Ramadan as I like to give my colleagues food and sweet stuffs for iftar @ breaking the fast.

 Some people may use brown sugar, but I like rock sugar (they are pretty, that's all  :D). I used about 300g here in 3 Litre of water. Add 1 or 2 pandan leaves for fragrance but it's optional. I don't grow anything behind my house so I don't have pandan leave at hand. If you add it in, remove it at the end of cooking. Once the rock sugar has dissolve, you can start adding the below ingredients (make sure you wash and set them aside first to drain the rinsing fluid)

 My next favourite is the lotus seed, 100 g. Add them in after the rock sugar has dissolved and let them simmer for 10 minutes to soften.

 Red dates, about 100 g of them. No need too much of them as they tend to swell up after soaking up the sugary soup.Simmer for 5 minutes or until the flesh expand nice and firm.

 White fungus, 200g. No specific reason other than I like their texture and volume :)  They soak up the sugary soup very well too. Simmer this for 5 minutes too.

 Lily bulb, 100g. Not a common thing to be added in len chee kang but the texture and colour add delight to the dish. Simmer for 5 minutes too.

 Dried longan, 200 g. It has cooling property, or so they said. After adding this, the soup colour may turn slightly brownish. If you use brown sugar, the soup will be a darker brown. Simmer for 5 more minutes then off the gas. If you notice the dark mount in the 1st picture, that is biji selasih (I can't remember what it is in English though). Add it in after you off the gas, about 2-3 Tbs or as much as you like. As for me and my 10 pax worth, I put in the whole pack of 100 g.

Last but not least, the winter melon @ halwa kundur @ gula kundur. I usually put 1-2 pieces in a bowl as the sweetness can be daunting to some people.

Sometimes I add buah kabung and also thinly sliced cincau. Some people add in the colourful sago and cendol but I don't really like them. If I have the time, I will soak some "kembang semangkuk" then add that too but I'm usually too lazy for that.

Serve chilled or with ice cubes or however you like the temperature to be.


To all the Muslims out there, I wish you a good Ramadan and many more ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. Am making some up for my Aunt's kenduri tomorrow. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. Am making some up for my Aunt's kenduri tomorrow. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit!