Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Kudat days: the first Kudat stint…

My dreaded day has come. The day when we all would be shuttled off to one of the remote areas in Sabah; Sikuati town in Kudat. No, it’s not the rural part that threw me off but it’s the dustiness of the place since I have this skin allergy towards dust which in turn, turn me into a dust – free – environment freak.

The dismal of the situation is much weighted by the thick layer of dust on the hostel floor and furniture. So our first day… crap. Enough of these. The room’s finally clean and the house spick and span after much effort, so to cut the story short since this is not the main reason I’m typing off here.

So now I happily declare that although daunted by the state of the house and the distance from Kota Kinabalu (>300 km!), Sikuati is actually live - able. There’s the fresh market operating from morning to evening selling all sorts of my fav veges and fresh village produce, mini marts selling necessities and 4 Malay restaurants identified. I’ll live.

The fun part yet to be told, is that our group brought with us portable stove, a wok and 2 rice - cookers along with other cooking utensils. So in our first week we are already experimenting some stuffs such as nasi goreng tom yam, pucuk manis with egg, sardine cooked with soy sauce, siew pak choy in oyster sauce and brinjal in chili paste. One guy even fizzed up our simple dinner with this fizzly punch made from canned pineapple and 7 – up.

What more, the kindly aunty operating the Surabaya restaurant below our house gave us special students price, gave us free ice for our homemade drinks and let us took our food and drinks with their cutleries to our class ^_^ Life is looking good here.

So actually I’m kind of looking forward to it. Maybe from time to time I’ll write more on Sikuati, Kudat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your visit!