Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Petrol price hike… RM 2.70?!! Just lamenting…

Petrol to cost RM2.70 from midnight.

KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi on Wednesday announced price hikes for petrol, diesel and electricity.

He said the new price for petrol is RM2.70 a litre, effective midnight tonight. The price goes up by 78sen from the current RM1.92, a hike of 40%.

Abdullah also announced that the price of diesel would be increased by RM1 from RM1.58 to RM2.58.

He also said that Tenaga Nasional Bhd would be raising electricity rates by 18% for homes and 26% for business users.” (
The Star Online excerpt)


As I stared in disbelief at the screen this evening, the cars were honking their way through as they made a beeline to the nearest petrol station. The jam had continued since 16.30 pm (local time/Malaysia).

My first thought was “My God, my God…” as I thought of my car left in Sabah (I’m currently in Kelantan by the way). Classes are starting in July 08 in Queen Hospital (a hell of 30 minutes travel costing RM7 return trip previously). Now with the 40% increase, it’ll be… a whopping RM9.80… Oh my God… I think I better start taking the school bus more now…

Then my thoughts drifted elsewhere… To Sabah… OH MY GOD!!! The prices of goods are certainly gonna hike even higher there!!! My experience last time was good enough for this dreaded situation, it was prior to election day the prices of goods started rising back there thanks to some stupid rumor of petrol price rising by RM0.60 (which was untrue back then). I remember the fruit stalls I frequented on my way to Papar selling their fruits RM1 more expensive after the SMS circulate.

Next pit… the food price… with petrol and diesel hikes PLUS electricity rate increase… currently a plate of rice with 1 dish of meat and vege would cost RM3.50. I have a feeling that when return back, the price would have gone up by RM0.50 – 1.00… If I’m lucky enough… Gah… Maybe I should start looking for other source of income…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your visit!