Monday, May 11, 2009

A day on Gaya Street (01): trinkets and the likes

The weekend shopping haven on the infamous Gaya Street starts as early as 6 am on every Sunday. So every Sunday, the whole length of Gaya street will be closed down to traffic so park your car somewhere on Saturday night. Jesselton Hotel has a parking space behind its building for the guests.

As we downed our breakfast at the dining area, we watched the bustle of vendors from all over Sabah setting up their tents and stuffs for the growing number of shoppers. I was pretty excited myself since Gaya streets "tamu" (@market) has never disappoint me with the wide variety of trinkets and the likes, with a dash of surprises thrown in here and there.




I think many blogs and sites have covered on Gaya street topic suffice to inform everybody on what are the main attractions offered. For me, it's always cute animals, lots and lots of batik Jawa, flowers and plants, and the amusement of finding something out of ordinary.

Like this. I never knew that butterfly pins are in the season now but here they are, colourful and wings - splayed to don your scarves and head dress. Take your pick and the vendor will pack them into the polystyrene lunch boxes.


They sell common everyday tools too.


Once in a while, these aunties will bang some folk tunes out of these ethnic instruments as part of their sale strategies.


The gongs and gendang, and some traditional weapons (Keris, held by this lady and uncle.)


So many chaplang (fake) branded goods at unbelievably cheap prices.


Shells and corals from the deep sea.


Coins and pottery. Selling money for money.


To my next post ^_^

2 comments:

  1. Great Markets, but I always thought the markets in Malaysia are more like Arabic ones. Just goes to show that I gotta get myself out there and see it!!!!

    In Costa Rica you're not allowed to sell shells, it promotes the stealing of it and there are lack of shells on the beaches of the crabs to use these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, the markets here do resemble the Arabic bazaars. I think most Asian markets are like that.

    As for shells, the folks here only make a pittance from them and they are abundant here for the crabs so I suppose it's alright.

    Thanks for dropping by and featuring me on your carnival. Stumbled you =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit!