Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lumut, the seaside town of Perak

Recently I went to Lumut, Perak for some conference that I managed to sleep through most of the time to wake up later with an amazing appetite. But the resort I stayed at sucked real time so I won't make it a mention here.

Anyway, compared to the last 10 years when I first visited, Lumut town had changed way big! Being the gateway to one of Malaysia's most beautiful island, Pankor Island, the beautification and upgrade of the town infrastructure is indeed worth a hearty round of applause. And much to my surprise, which was a pleasant one, the town has become very clean and well - maintained; not a single litter on the road of this quaint town.


Nobody can see it, but I positively think that that white arch thing is an abstract replica of a fish.





Another angle of the "fish" arch.


The seaside resting area.


The weather on that particular day was amazingly... Ok, I'll rephrase that. It was sunny, and freaking hot!!! But still, I bought myself a hat from the craft center and was soon snapping photos around more comfortably.

Anyway, the sky was simply amazing that day! These were taken near the jetty.







Such vibrant colours at the souvenir shops.


After a long walk on such a freaking hot day, we stopped for my favourite Malay dessert called cendol pulut, a dessert prepared from glutinous rice, cendol, coconut milk, gula melaka and shaved ice. It was amazing!



We bought it from this mamak, near the mulyi - storey parking complex. He was selling in front of a warong (small restaurant by roadside). For RM2.50, he loaded your bowl generously and you can opt to sit in the warong or just stand there and eat. FOr take - aways, he'll pack it in a cup but there's no thrill in that compared to slurping off the bowl.



Besides all this, many eateries in Lumut boast to serve the freshest seafood, and there are MANY eateries to suit your taste, and most of them are Malay restaurants and nasi kandar restaurants. I ate way too much fried squids that day, all fat with their eggs.

Other than these, there are many shops selling seafood products too, though mostly are dried stuffs. I bought my stuffs at a shop called Jamilah, where I found a delicious keropok ikan @ fish crackers.

Anyway, for those more interested with Pangkor Island, there are many agents here that can assign and arrange for accommodation, and also car parks with certain price for those who drive to Lumut.

As for me, after shopping for seafood products and souvenirs, I simple drove home. It's just too hot to go to the island in this dry season, I'd be ROASTED!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your visit!