Monday, November 14, 2011

My Penang Solo Stumble 11 ~ Penang Botanical Garden

Another attraction in Penang that many would not miss would be the Botanical Garden which was found in 1884 by Charles Curtis from the Gardens and Forests Departments Straits Settlements. Reputed as the "green lungs" of Penang, the garden houses many local plants, shrubbery, herbs to name a few. It used to be popular for the cascading waterfall but after the building of the water reserve, the waterfall was closed down to the public (what a pity…).


My mistake was that I went there at 11 am when the sun is starting to show its cruel side. So moral of the story, go at early morning, bring an umbrella and lather on some sun block, which I did.

I took a tram that tours the whole park to get an overview first before selecting my photo spots.




 The cactus farm

 You can see many of them here. Don't feed or they'll clamor after you.




 The Japanese garden with its lush setting. A good hiking up the hill to reach here so a pair of good, comfy walking shoes is a must.

 The Lili pond next to the Orchidarium. it takes some climbing to get here. A good place for a romantic photo shoot.

 The Orchidarium

The cannon ball tree which is abundant around the park.


Penang Botanic Gardens Department
Jalan Kebun Bunga 10350 Penang
Tel: 604-2270428, 604-2284124, 604-2271354
Fax: 604-2286075
Email: botani@penang.gov.my This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Web site: www.penangbotanicgardens.gov.my

1 comment:

Thanks for your visit!